Sunday, February 22, 2009

News: Independent Spirit Award Winners

I'm watching the Oscars right now, and reporting on what won the oh so much better Independent Spirit Awards almost a week late. Hugh Jackman is talking about cinematographers right now. I love cinematographers. I want to be one of them, when I grow to the full grown age a cinematographer must reach before he or she can be named 'director of photography'. 

Best Feature:
The Wrestler

Best First Feature:
Synecdoche, New York

Best Director:
Thomas McCarthy for The Visitor

Best Male Lead:
Mickey Rourke for The Wrestler

Best Female Lead: 
Melissa Leo for Frozen River

Best Supporting Male:
James Franco for Milk

Best Supporting Female: 
Penelope Cruz for Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Best Screenplay:
Woody Allen for Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Best First Screenplay:
Dustin Lance Black for Milk

Best Cinematography:
Maryse Alberti for The Wrestler

Best Documentary:
Man on Wire

Best Foreign Film:
The Class (France)

John Cassavetes Award: 
In Search of a Midnight Kiss

Truer Than Fiction Award:
The Unforeseen

I'm basically pleased with all of those. Are you? I still haven't seen Woody Allen's Vicky Cristina Barcelona, but I can assume it earned what it was given. And I really want to see In Search of a Midnight Kiss. Huzzah, mumblecoremania. Oh, and what I've seen for Medicine for Melancholy tells me it should have won best cinematography, even though The Wrestler had extraordinary, documentary style camera work. And now, to finish watching those fucking Oscars.

 - Eric T. Voigt, "Singing Nuns"?

No comments:

Post a Comment