Sunday, October 18, 2009

Rule #1: Cardio

Yes, it's been a while since I've written, but on the dawn of a new school year it's been a while since I've seen a movie. So finally I've made it to theater! A glorious day of celebration. And the film I enjoyed? Zombieland.

In a season of apocolyptic films, it was nice to see one that didn't take itself so seriously. My own personal love for Jesse Eisenberg escalated the second the film started, the subtle humor presented in his squaemish character (which from what I've seen is his real life persona) making him adorable and relatable. Woody Harrelson's scene in the amusement park, locking himself in the stuffed animal booth surrounded by zombies was totally bad ass. Even Abigail Breslin wasn't nearly as annoying as I supposed she would be.

But the cherry on the sundae was Bill Murray. I literally let out a squeal of joy when he walked on the screen. When actors can make fun of themselves (Murray's last regret being "Garfield") that can make a film truly great.

The only controversy lies within zombie purists. The zombies in this movie were awfully quick on their feet, something that is not typical in zombie-lore. To believe that these zombies would be able to wipe out all but four people, they had to be fast moving I think. Whether you are a purist or not, it only makes sense.

Though I loved the film, the greatest experience that came out of that theater was the giant pop out poster for Fantastic Mr. Fox. That is sure to be yet another film where Bill Murray doesn't dissappoint.

Don't let school keep you out of the theaters!
***Brianna Wellen

No comments:

Post a Comment