Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Cherrybomb: Why Does This Interest Me SO Much?

I really don't know why this interests me so much. I think it's a mix of the music being punkish enough to appeal to me, the cinematography and overall fervor of the pace in it's editing. It looks like a lot of punching, and a lot of sex, and a lot of teenage angst, and a lot of adults acting inappropriately for their own age. The summary I yanked off of FirstShowing.net goes a little something like this: 

Cherry Bomb teenagers Luke (Sheehan), Malachy (Grint) and Michelle (Nixon) as they embark on a wild weekend of drinking, drugs, shop-lifting and stealing cars. But what starts out as a game turns deadly serious when the three discover that they can't get off the wild ride they've set in motion.

And the more simple explanation from Wikipedia:

With their exams over, best friends Malachy and Luke are out to have one hell of a summer. However, the arrival of Michelle, a captivating but troubled beauty, tests their friendship to the limit as she encourages the two boys to carry out increasingly dangerous and illegal deeds in the battle for her affections - with fatal consequences.

Now, aside from all the racy language in those summaries, they make the story sound sort of... like something I've maybe seen before? Like a more violent The Dreamers, but not really. It definitely sounds like things you've seen or heard of before. It has even a small Y Tu Mama Tambien-esque quality to it. 

I want to see it. I have this giant compulsion, and urge, and etc. to see it. And I don't even know exactly why.


 - Eric T. Voigt, "You Know What Face I'm Talkin' About?"

1 comment: