Friday, April 24, 2009

Seven Minutes: The Brothers Bloom Intro

Hulu, in every bit of its infinite wisdom, is previewing the first seven minutes of the May-coming film The Brothers Bloom, which my very own Kevin Kern describes as having "a high-octane Wes Anderson" look to it:


Of all the 2009 films I'm eagerly anticipating, The Brothers Bloom is among my top five most anticipated. I think the others would be Moon, Where the Wild Things Are, Fantastic Mr. Fox and The Limits of Control. But I'm not talking about those, I'm talking about this. The Brothers Bloom. It's written and directed by Rian Johnson, the writer and director of Brick, which I watched again a few hours ago, and have loved all six or seven times I've watched it. I only expect equally great or better from The Brothers Bloom and judging from the fantastic opening I'm going to get what I expect.

Starting the whole thing off is narration by Ricky Jay, who also narrated the beginning of Magnolia, and whose voice is perfect for narration. It has a wised, truth-worthy feel to it. He delivers every sentence like he's handing an invaluable secret to the ear. The story opens with the Brothers Bloom as children, 10 and 13. Max Records plays Stephen, and Zachary Gordon plays Bloom. Records also stars in Where the Wild Things Are as Max this October. And these are two of the three credits to his name. I'm almost praying that Records' career will continue up this monumentally awesome slope. 

The dialogue is quick, sharp, and hilarious. One of the first shots of the film is a kitten pushing itself down a road inside a roller skate. The children deliver their lines with the confidence of their adult counterparts Adrian Brody (The Darjeeling Limited) and Mark Ruffalo (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind). Starting at the past can be a bother when used incorrectly, but in this case it appears to be a smashing success.

Hopefully Hulu will draw in a larger audience for the film. It comes out the 29th of May. I'm going to see it. I'm going to see the pants off of it. 

 - Eric T. Voigt, 3.03AM

No comments:

Post a Comment