Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Music of Z

Alex, Kevin, and I went to Music Box Theatre and watched Costa-Gavras' political thriller masterpiece Z in honor of its fortieth anniversary. It was incredible. There wasn't a character I didn't like. The constantly moving camera was pleasing in a way I can't put my aesthetic finger on. The story itself, based on a true assassination, is as gripping and compelling as real life can get. Urging the audience to notice the intentional comparisons to existing public figures, and the statement that all similarities between them are entirely un-coincidental was a hilarious and chilling way to start the film. Basically, it was awesome. 

I want to touch on the music, though. It's composed by Mikis Theodorakis. It's fast, it's exciting, and it fits perfectly for the mood of the film. I just found the soundtrack online and I think I'm going to buy it. I think everyone should buy it. I think I'll provide a link to the digital download for it. See Z. Listen to Z. Everything for Z.

No comments:

Post a Comment